Urbana Country Club Founded
Nothing tangible was done toward formation of a club until Stanley Boggs in the summer of 1921 took up the project and never quit bothering his friends about it until the start was made. Others may have thought a golf club would be successful in Urbana, but it remained for Stanley Boggs to put that thought into reality.
Greens completed and ready for play
Building of tees and greens was done by using teams of horses to pull slip scrapers. These were steel containers open at the front, with a sharp lower edge and sides sloping back about 3 feet to a closed back about 15 inches high and about 3 feet wide.
Original measurements for tees, fairways, and greens were made by Harry Gill, famous track coach at University of Illinois.
"First hole-in-one recorded at a local country club was made by Mrs. T.A. Burt on No. 5 at Urbana in 1925. An ace was made on the same hole previously but a temporary green was in use."
The south bunker was put in by the 16th green.
The Urbana Improvement Association purchased 3 acres on the west side of LaHue's property. Then another 3 acres was purchased. These additions allowed for the lengthening of #1, and the relocation of the tee for #2.
Under leadership of Presidents such as Frank Terry, Ora Dillavou, T.E. Larson, and particularly Fred Corray, the Club grew in membership and expanded the facilities.
Extensive work was done to the clubhouse.
Hole #7 was pictured in several golf magazines as "most scenic"
Regrading of the abrupt rise/drop on #8, #9 and #10 by Don Street, Pro and grounds keeper
Country Club Development sold the north acreage to UCC. When the "north acreage" was sold for development, UGCC retained an area 480 by 1200 for the club.
Swimming pool was constructed, financed through donations from Club members.
Flood on golf course: Saline creek 35 feet above its normal level
Fairway watering system was installed.
1964: Building and Planning Committee Formed
1966: Next major remodeling done since 1949
1968: Clubhouse burned down
1968: First Invitational Tourney
Retention pond dug to solve the problem of silt in the lines, which clogged the sprinkler heads.
Several new tees built for the ladies on #1, #14 and #16.
1995 New tees for the ladies on #2, #6, #12 and #18.
1996 Addition of sand bunkers on the hillside of #8
2008: Renovations done for poolside and UCC logo redesign
An Editorial by A.T. Burrows written in Fall of 1923 "That the Urbana Golf and Country Club has been an unqualified success is the practically unanimous judgement of every one identified with the enterprise. Its beginnings were modest. Casually talked of for several years by the half a dozen or so enthusiasts, who were all that Urbana could boast at that time, nothing tangible was done toward formation of a club until Stanley Boggs in the summer of 1921 took up the project and never quit bothering his friends about it until the start was made. Others may have thought a golf club would be successful in Urbana, but it remained for Stanley Boggs to put that thought into reality.
To be sure others helped, and as recruits were obtained, the enthusiasm grew to the point where organization seemed practicable. The choice of a site proved an easy matter, and the grounds selected contained the possibility of creating a golf course of unusual attractiveness and interest.
The Urbana Country Club is a huge success, and it is an institution that will never die, because we have found out by experiment that we need it in our business, and truly marvel that we ever got along without it."